Monday, May 24, 2010

CONSCIENCE AT ODDS

I came across a question posted by a manager who was at odds as to whether to let go an employee who has been a good hard-working loyal employee working part time, and who needed that job to support herself and her 3 year old daughter - to be replaced by a new full-time employee.

This was my answer to her:

"First I'd like to commend you for having a conscience to begin with. That seems to be a by-gone era these days.

I've seen this happen over and over again - that whatever you do or don't do today - WILL come back to bite you later. Taking away a person's livelihood today is the equivalent to death. That person will most likely not be able to find another job to feed herself and her 3 year old daughter. I think the key thing you mentioned is that "that she has never had a poor evaluation". Keep in mind, her time may be limited now, but may not always be that way. People tend not to put a value on dedication and loyalty - also by-gone eras. If I were in your situation - I would keep that person, knowing that I'll be able to sleep at night. Please let me know what you've decided to do."

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever hear back from this person? I am curious. If a similar situation is ever brought to your attention in the future, another alternative might be to have the employee work flexible hours or, even better, telecommute from home if that would fit the job activities. I have worked remotely for the last 4 years and find that on the days when life interrups my regular work schedule I put in extra time in the evening to get projects completed. If this person continued to work part time at the office and was given the opportunity to work the remaining hours from home, the employer would be able to keep a great employee and get the FTE needed and the employee would be able to maintain her flexibility to take care of her family needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I never found out the end to this story. There are always solutions - especially in today's virtual world - when you have an open mind - and when you truly do care about the welfare of others.

    ReplyDelete