Sunday, October 3, 2010

DON'T GET MAD . . . GET EVEN

This is a departure from my usual blog, but it's such an interesting story - I had to write about it. After seeing Marlo Thomas ("That Girl") on the morning show on CBS, I wrote this letter to Marlo, about the time I met her father - Danny Thomas. Here's the letter.

"Marlo -

This is a story for you. And it’s about you. It really happened. I hope you'll read to the end. It's really interesting.

I had the pleasure and privilege of meeting your father many years ago when he was involved with the St. Jude telethon, which you are involved with now. There was a kick-off party at Joe’s Pier 52. I was invited as a guest of Ray Serra, who was working on the telethon at the time. (Ray was a character actor then. I had since lost contact with Ray.)

Anyhows, we were sitting at a table at Joe’s (that is Ray and myself), talking, drinking, meeting other people from the telethon, when your father came over to our table and introduced himself to me. He hadn’t seen me before, and he wanted to meet me. He sat down at our table and Ray introduced me.

Right about that time Stanley Siegel walks in to talk to your father. Apparently, your father was scheduled to appear on the Stanley Siegel show (a talk show), but cancelled at the last minute. Stanley Siegel was furious – and there was this sparring going on – right in front of me! Your father said the reason he cancelled was because “he doesn’t get up that early”. But everyone knew the real reason - it was because Stanley Siegel had insulted you on his show. Your father was quoted in next day’s paper as saying: “Don’t get mad. . . get even”.

Little did anyone know – your father invented that phrase – because of you!

Your father was beloved by all who met him. He was a genuine caring human being. He would be so proud of you today for continuing in his legacy.

I have kept that clip from the newspaper for over 30 years. I look at it and say – “Yeah, I was there when that happened!”

Helen Rosen
Irvington, New York"

1 comment:

  1. Helen ~

    It really is amazing to see where inspiration is drawn from. A father’s inspiration from his daughter, yours from a human interaction and the world’s from a man in a single moment standing up to protect his family.

    Cheers,
    Rebecca B. Sargeant

    ReplyDelete